A New Blue Shed

At the beginning of this year, our shed was getting a bit desperate. The mice had moved in, moved out, moved back in again and then departed, leaving us with a bit of a stinky, rotten wooden shell that failed miserably to keep the elements out, thanks in part to a rotten roof.

So when Argos gave us the chance to feature a product from their summer gardening range, we jumped at the chance to replace our shed. Our budget meant that we had to opt for a 6′x’8′ shed, but given that our current shed was falling apart (literally), I was more than happy to go for the smaller shed. We went for the BillyOh Pressure Treated Overlap Apex Shed

The old shed - rotten roof, dumping ground and mouse haven

The old shed – rotten roof, dumping ground and mouse haven

Demolishing the old shed wasn’t particularly easy. Mum and Dad decided that they wanted to recycle what they could from our shed – which is fair enough – so we cut the ‘good bit’ of our shed into a third, and eventually Dad drove away with a shed on his car roof. They put a new roof on, cobbled it back together and now have their own handy tool store.

Breaking down the old shed, which was recycled and made into a nifty mini-shed and tool store!

Breaking down the old shed, which was recycled and made into a nifty mini-shed and tool store!

And because I’m an impatient kind of person, I couldn’t be bothered to re-lay all the patio tiles into a completely concrete shed base like Rich had suggested. We simply took up the wonky paving slabs that had been pushed up by the roots of the sycamore and the ash tree, and relaid them as best we could.

Breaking down the shed and rearranging the tiles undernneath

Breaking down the shed and rearranging the tiles underneath – I’m not a tidy worker…

Then it was time to put our new Argos shed up. We had to knock a fair few joints back into place with a hammer, but everything just about went up without too much trouble. Being a budget shed, the shiplap and batons were quite a bit thinner than our old shed, so we decided to reinforce some of the joints in places with extra timber, just to give it a bit more strength and stability.

The shed came just enough roofing felt, but as our old shed roof had got in such a state, we decided that it was probably best to purchase some thicker roofing felt, and double up. Of course, as soon as Rich had finished spending hours on putting up a nice, neat roof, the birds decided to come along and christen it!

Before the roofing felt went on

Before the roofing felt went on

The only thing we had real trouble with was the shed door – the shed comes with a stable door, but we couldn’t get it to fit without any large gaps (Rich says this is possibly because we didn’t triple-check the right angles when we put the shed up). So we decided to make our own door from thicker wood. Luckily Rich is the proud owner of a DeWalt mitre saw, so made quick work of it. We also bought our own hinges to accommodate the new, heavier door and will keep the original hinges for another day!

Unpainted shed

Unpainted shed, neat roof felt courtesy of Rich

We also thought that it would be a good idea to seal the majority of the cracks and joins in the wood (leaving a few for ventilation), before giving the shed three coats of Cuprinol. We wanted something a bit brighter and beachy to cheer up the slightly dank corner that the shed occupies under the trees and by the hedge, so opted for this blue. I’m not sure I love it, but it’ll do and hopefully in time we’ll include a nice little planting scheme around the shed to complement the colour.

Finished (almost, got to finish painting that door!) shed... would have preferred a light sage green but can live with this for now!

Finished (almost, got to finish painting that door!) shed… would have preferred a light sage green but can live with this for now!

So all that’s left is to attach some mini guttering and a downpipe into my waterbutt. The good news is that our monster mower is now safe and sound, and all my tools will no longer be subject to wind, rain, sleet, snow and sun – an improvement all round, wouldn’t you say?

The other thing is that we discovered a bumble bee nest under the patio tile base, and we managed to protect it and allow the bees to keep ‘working’ throughout the demolishing and re-building. Hurrah!

Comments

  1. I would love a blue shed in my garden. Our garden is only small so it was a shed or a greenhouse for us. Opted for the greenhouse but now I have serious shed envy :P x

  2. That looks wonderful, and it’s not a bad shade of blue, although I’m like you I do like a nice shade of green :-)

  3. I think it looks great. I love the stuff I got from Argos recently as well :-)

    Was lovely to meet you yesterday :-)

  4. It looks really good and I like the blue..you’re right it does brighten it up and reminds me of sunny days at the beach. Hope it lasts a long time after all the effort you and Rich went to:)

Speak Your Mind

*